2015年7月2日 星期四

How Chinese respond to compliments



This is a video taken by a guy who studied Chinese in Taiwan. They explain how Chinese respond to the compliment and the culture aspect behind.

Please watch the video and write at least 50 words to comment on this video. You can use English, pinyin or Chinese.



10 則留言:

  1. While staying in China the past two months, I have definitely at one point or another been complemented on my Chinese skills. I have always responded with the phrase "nali nali" because I myself even believe my Chinese lacks on multiple levels. The response I have had from Chinese people have been even better after I say this phrase because they then realize I understand not just the language, but the culture as well.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Great to know that you applied "哪裡哪裡" in China.(Zhang laoshi will be very happy!) So why do you think that Chinese use "哪裡哪裡“ or "不敢當” instead of "謝謝”? Probably you can try to compliment native Taiwanese to see what they respond. And please share with me:)

      刪除
  2. It is definitely good to have a refresher on this. I’m sure people have been lenient (somewhat) when it comes to this with me being a foreigner and all, but I look back on the (few) compliments I have received and responded to with “謝謝” with regret. It’s also nice to know a few other phrases outside of “哪裡哪裡” as well.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Actually you don't need to regret the respondence. As younger generation, we are influenced by western culture, so sometimes when I am complimented, I will say "謝謝“. It depends on the situation, if I think I am not worthy of receiving the compliment, I will try turning down the compliment. However, in the formal scenario, people really use "哪裡哪裡“ a lot.

      刪除
    2. 作者已經移除這則留言。

      刪除
  3. Wow that is good to know from now on. I have definitely said xie xie way too many times and must have looked pretty bad to the people complimenting me. "Sometimes nali really does mean where though" I love the whole caterpillar act! It is also good to know that sometimes you can use xiexie, and I hope it's becoming more and more acceptable because I still have to change my habits!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. I think they know you are not native speaker so it's acceptable to them to use "謝謝”. But if you want to also apply Chinese culture trait when speaking Chinese, try "哪裡哪裡". One of Chinese trait is to be modest and humble, so we still use these phrases in formal settings. It's common that we use "謝謝“ with friends, though.

      刪除
  4. Thanks for the cool video. The channel looks very helpful. I had heard about 哪裡 before but never the other ones 太誇張了 (tai kuazhang le)and 不敢當 (bu gan dang). Unfortunately, I don’t anticipate a need to use any of these phrases soon. 對不起我的中文不好 is more likely.

    回覆刪除
  5. I think we use "不敢當“ more than "太誇張了” here in Taiwan. People use these two phrases in formal situation like in conference, competition, business setting and so on. Do you really think your Chinese is not good? You are too humble to say that. You start to think like Chinese.(Just kidding)

    Probably when people hear you say "對不起我的中文不好", they may keep compliment you in order not to make you lose your face. You can try to respond with this sentence, and please tell me what people say . I am curious about that.

    回覆刪除
  6. I thought it was interesting to learn where the phrase 'na li na li' comes from. I really do appreciate that about this culture, but it's easy to forget, especially when you're flattered. Though I really do appreciate the sentiment, I think that I prefer saying thank you, maybe just because that's what I'm used to.

    回覆刪除